“When I get a little money, I buy books. If any is left, I buy food and clothes.” — Erasmus
Are you keen on inspiring the bookworm in your child and making him or her avid reader as they grow? It’s not a difficult task. In fact, inculcating the habit of reading a variety of genres is something that every parent should try, as it will help sharpen a child’s reading skills and general knowledge. Raising a reader does take a certain amount of effort, as not every child is born a bookworm. Introducing your children to new literature throughout the year is one of the best techniques for encouraging them to keep up to date with information from an early age.
Here are some effective tips to inculcate good reading habits in children.
- Gift your child new reading material. When your child starts going to school, gift him or her a variety of novels and other literature that match their appropriate reading levels. Short stories, picture books with simple scientific texts, and various other children’s books can be ideal gifts for kids to harbor reading habits from an early age.
- Make reading a part of your family’s life. Developing good reading habits is essential. When kids see their parents reading and discussing things they’ve read, children will attempt to read and discuss on what they read too. Making reading a part of your family’s lifestyle helps your children learn that reading is not only a crucial part of life, but an enjoyable one too.
- Get a library membership for your child. You can get a library membership for your children to help them pursue good habit of reading. Libraries comprise a commendable collection of literature work. If you are a regular visitor of a local library, take your child to the library along with you when your kid start going to the school. This will help your child get acquainted with new and vast variety of volumes. Soon your kids will start visiting library on their own, as they grow up.
- Plan a visit to popular book fairs. Visiting popular book events, such as Illinois Library Association, can help your children to get their hands on a new variety of novels. At events like these, new authors display their recent literature work to promote their books since a large number of book lovers and important professionals in publishing industry make it a point to visit. Plan a visit to one of the popular book events along with your children. Your kids will enjoy the chance to choose some of their own favorite volumes.
- Create a reading-friendly environment. Creating a quiet, comfortable place to read is an effective technique to encourage your kids to read. It can be as simple as gifting your child a reading light beside his or her and setting a bedtime which includes half an hour to read before going to bed. If you have additional space in your kids’ room, you can create a special reading nook. Also, you can create a small home library where you store all the new volumes purchased from popular book exhibitions. This will boost the morale of your children to spend more time in the home library daily.
- Use technology. Often, children are more fond of electronic devices than paper books. Gifting your kids an Amazon Kindle or Apple iPad can encourage them to explore the world of ebooks. That way your child can download new reading material at will without having to wait for the next family trip to the book exhibition. Also, at various global book fairs, such as Illinois Library Association 2014, you can find a vast variety of suitable ebooks for your kids. Audio books can be another great solution to encourage a reluctant reader to get excited about reading without any pressure.
With these effective tips you can inspire the budding bookworm in your children to read more and enhance their knowledge, reading abilities, writing skills, and vocabulary as they grow.
As the boom of tablets and Smartphones continues to rise in the market, it’s now simpler to download and read E-books with just a push of button or screen-touch. Even though this quick and easy access to various E-books is commendable, book lovers and many avid readers find stocking up books quite expensive. They are always on look for effective ways to find cost-effective copies of books.
Where can you find discounted or free copies of standard volumes and E-books to pursue your favorite hobby of reading? Here are some options that can help you find discounted and free E-books and standard volumes to read your choice of collection.
- Libraries. Today, lots of public libraries are pursuing the trend of having digital books on their shelves. They offer E-books just like they offer standard physical volumes. In most cases, you need to have a card to access the local library but there are many libraries that allow you to access their E-book collections directly from your desktops or tablets. Various E-books lending libraries allow you to checkout digital volumes on your systems without making a trip to the library.You can download your choice of E-books for a specific span of time and read.
- Author lists. Many book lovers maintain a list of their favorite authors. Today, several popular authors maintain blogs, email lists, Facebook pages, Twitter accounts, and other social network accounts for their loyal fans to keep the readers updated with their latest releases and news. In addition to this, many authors offer exclusive giveaways and discounted rates on their work to their loyal fans. Checking out your favorite authors’ websites and email alerts helps you obtain important updates and newsletters. You can even meet your favorite authors in popular book events, such as Frankfurt International Book Fair in 2014, have their autographs, and discuss with them about your expectations and their upcoming projects.
- Book clubs. Various book clubs maintain collections of good books allowing the members of the club to buy their choice of volumes at discounted rate. Many book clubs even offer guided discussions on the best-selling volumes to avid readers. They even offer bookworms opportunities to get their hands on volumes that are available at lesser prices if they participate in the club.
- Popular book fairs. Various global book fairs, such as Frankfurt Book Fair, offer book lovers opportunities to learn, access, and purchase a variety of books and E-books at discounted rates. Numerous authors throughout the world display their literary work in such international book fairs attracting thousands of readers and fans to attend and get their hands on their favorite collections. Avid readers can have discussions with their favorite authors and learn about digital books and their availability in the market. These international book events even offer splendid opportunities to readers as well as authors to pursue their interest and work in the publishing industry enthusiastically.
If you follow these four tips, it won’t cost you an arm and a leg to have a great collection of reading material. Hurry up! Find more about library offerings, book giveaways, and popular book fairs in 2014 to thrive the book worm in you with quality reading material.
Getting lost in reading a book is the most pleasurable feeling for a book lover to enjoy. Readers read books of hundreds and even thousands of pages, getting engrossed in the plot of the story and role of the characters in it. Reading favorite books for hours is not only fun but also beneficial for the health of the readers. Do you know why?
Here are some surprising and interesting health benefits of reading.
- Reduces stress. Reading good books is a relaxing activity. When you get engrossed in reading a book, all other thoughts vanish from your mind. Your daily tensions and worries disappear. This is not a hypothetical idea but a proven fact. Studies reveal that reading just for six minutes reduces stress by 68% as it slows down your heart rate and minimizes muscle tension. Instead of turning on your television set, read a good book for some time after spending a stressful day at work.
- Improves memory. Just like your body muscles need workout to enhance them, your brain needs the exercise that reading a book can offer. Reading a book for certain time of a day exercises your noggin. All synapses firing when reading improves your memory and keeps you away from ailments related to brain and memory. Studies reveal that people who read regularly are 2.5 times less likely to become a victim of memory disease named Alzheimer .
- Makes your brain younger. Even though no one can stop aging process, reading can slow it down substantially. Various studies and researches reveal that reading can minimize your rate of cognitive decline. Get your hands on good books by visiting popular book events, such as those found at the Beijing International Book Fair, regularly and keep your brain young and energetic.
- Enhances empathy. Reading good, inspirational books makes you more humane. You get emotionally absorbed in the book and enact positively in the real life. Studies reveal that individuals who read fictional stories regularly are more empathetic. Even if the characters are fictional, relating to their roles and circumstances makes us act empathetically in our lives. Visiting global book fairs in 2014 can help you access a vast variety of inspirational and fictional volumes to enhance your empathy this year.
- Increases tolerance. Every of us have to struggle to lead a civilized and peaceful life with stress of not knowing what future has in store for us. To achieve our aims we need to increase our tolerance level. Fortunately, one of the easy ways to cope with day-to-day stress is reading volumes. Studies reveal that reading fictional stories can increase the tolerance for ambiguity. As readers delve deeper into fictional stories and characters, their minds open up and they become prepared to face various challenging situations and uncertainties. A visit to a popular book show, like BIBF 2014, can help you enhance your tolerance effectively and become stronger.
All of the above benefits of reading enhance your health and life and help you lead a more peaceful and happy life. So harbor a good habit of reading regularly by getting your hands on various new volumes that are coming in the market these days.
Child’s language development is one of the major concerns of parents. Many parents think that speech therapy is the only solution for their child’s weak language development. But, there are several factors that come into play such as your kid’s primary caretaker, reading habits, and many more factors, which may play a role in your kid’s weak language development. If you spend time with your child, you can easily identify the cause of poor language development and help your kid develop rich language skills. Here are certain tips that can help you inculcate effective, expressive language skills in your child.
- Encourage your kid to elaborate: Kids with weak language development tend to narrate any situation in short, incomplete sentences. They fail to express the entire situation or complete thoughts, as they find it difficult or they assume you understand what they are talking about. Instead of accepting the poor narration of your child, teach him to elaborate well by explaining its significance. When your child repeats incomplete, non-relevant sentences, explain how he can describe it properly so the next time he follows the same pattern and can then elaborate in a better manner.
- Discourage the use of informal words: Informal words such as stuff or things that do not specify a particular object should be avoided. Encourage your child to think of the word that he wishes to state, rather than using vague filler words. Also, once you guess the word that your child wants to convey do not tell your kid that word immediately. Encourage your child to find a good word by speaking related sounds or syllables. A visit to a popular book event, such as the China book fair, can help improve your kid’s language usage. This will help them improve their expressive language skills and build rich vocabulary.
- Plan a visit to a children’s book fair: A visit along with your children to one of the popular children’s book fairs, such as Beijing International Book Fair, can prove instrumental in encouraging your kids to read various children’s novels and improve their language development. Your children can access a variety of books that are specifically written to help children enhance their language and writing skills and build good vocabulary. Inculcating good habits of reading in kids, builds good language development in kids automatically.
- Don’t embarrass your child in public: In an effort to improve your kid’s speech and language skills, make sure that you never embarrass or insult your child in public. Don’t force your child to deliver long and complex replies to others, if your child finds it difficult to do so. If your kid makes a grammatical error in front of other people when in a group, don’t correct him on the spot. Kids are sensitive and may feel discouraged. Teach your child how to answer impressively at home, where just you and your kid are present.
- Ensure that your child gets an opportunity to speak: It is quite easy to let your child finish his sentences and explain to other family members and friends what your child actually meant to say. But, if you want your kid to improve his language skills, you need to step back and allow your child to use his skills to explain things to others in a better way to convey what he wants to say. Don’t complete your child’s sentences; let him do it on his own. Encourage them to improve their vocabulary skills by visiting children’s book fairs in 2014.
- Shut off DVDs, television, cell phones and other interactive electronic gadgets at specific times: If you wish to improve your kid’s expressive language skills, ensure that your child experiences meaningful, educational conversation daily. A conversation with your son with the television set on in the background or cell phone in his hand is bound to fail. Make sure that when you are interacting with your child or teaching your child, there is no noise or any other distractions present in the surroundings and your child finds your conversation interesting.