Books offer an invaluable treasure of knowledge and information by enhancing our ability to think, analyze, and take appropriate decisions at the right moments. However, simply knowing the significance of reading is not enough. From children to the elderly, finding the time to read amidst hectic daily schedules is a difficult task.
Here are some tips to help you make reading not only an enjoyable activity, but also a part of your daily life.
- Read while commuting. Commuting daily to your workplace or school via bus, tram, or train can be made interesting by carrying a novel with you. Converting your daily commute into reading time can be an engaging as well as refreshing experience as you reach your destination. You can carry a book in your backpack, handbag, or purse ensuring you always have a book when you need one. Whether you are commuting or waiting in a doctor’s clinic or bus stop, you can flip through a few pages and make your wait or commute just a bit more engaging.
- Purchase second hand reading material. Purchasing a variety of second hand version won’t cost you an arm and leg like most hot-off-the-press novels will. Look out for notice boards outside libraries, university boards, and local book stores for deals on second hand reading material. Don’t be put off from purchasing second–hand literature. Think of them as another opportunity to read dusty covers by a loving reader.
- Get a library membership. Choose any one of the popular libraries in your city and become a member. Being a library member will expose you to the world of books and E-books by giving you access to a vast variety of reading material like academic journals, novels, magazines, newsletters, and comics. A library even provides a reading-friendly, pleasant atmosphere for readers to sit for hours and read peacefully…which may not be possible at home.
- Visit popular literature events. Popular book exhibitions, such as Pennsylvania Library Association, showcase a variety of genres for avid readers, publishers, librarians, news reporters, and other important members of the publishing industry and media. Popular globalbook fairsnot only offer you a golden opportunity to access unique collections of literature but also give you the opportunity to meet your favorite authors, get their autographs, and learn about their future projects. So make it a point to visit one of the popular book fairs in 2014 and enhance your collection with new reading material.
- Get an Ereader or tablet.Technological advancements have brought a revolution in each and every aspect of our lives, and reading is no exception to this. The advent of E-books and their easy availability enable E-readers to read their choice of literature anywhere and anytime comfortably without any hassles. You can find new editions of digital books at popular book fairs aiming book promotion of digital and standard books and at E-libraries. You can download your choice of literature online and read it conveniently sitting at home. You can read various digital versions when on-the-go and their storage won’t be an issue.
- Join a local reading club. A reading club is an exciting platform for book lovers to interact with fellow readers. Active reading groups are known for having intellectual debates, discussions, reading sessions, and a host of other intellectual activities to keep the reading spirit up among avid readers. These clubs will motivate you to read more genres and expose you to more literature, authors, and titles than you would have discovered on your own.
Following these effective tips and visiting popular exhibitions, such as Pennsylvania Library Association in 2014, will help you to get your hands on a new variety of genres and enhance your reading abilities and knowledge substantially.
“When I get a little money, I buy books. If any is left, I buy food and clothes.” — Erasmus
Are you keen on inspiring the bookworm in your child and making him or her avid reader as they grow? It’s not a difficult task. In fact, inculcating the habit of reading a variety of genres is something that every parent should try, as it will help sharpen a child’s reading skills and general knowledge. Raising a reader does take a certain amount of effort, as not every child is born a bookworm. Introducing your children to new literature throughout the year is one of the best techniques for encouraging them to keep up to date with information from an early age.
Here are some effective tips to inculcate good reading habits in children.
- Gift your child new reading material. When your child starts going to school, gift him or her a variety of novels and other literature that match their appropriate reading levels. Short stories, picture books with simple scientific texts, and various other children’s books can be ideal gifts for kids to harbor reading habits from an early age.
- Make reading a part of your family’s life. Developing good reading habits is essential. When kids see their parents reading and discussing things they’ve read, children will attempt to read and discuss on what they read too. Making reading a part of your family’s lifestyle helps your children learn that reading is not only a crucial part of life, but an enjoyable one too.
- Get a library membership for your child. You can get a library membership for your children to help them pursue good habit of reading. Libraries comprise a commendable collection of literature work. If you are a regular visitor of a local library, take your child to the library along with you when your kid start going to the school. This will help your child get acquainted with new and vast variety of volumes. Soon your kids will start visiting library on their own, as they grow up.
- Plan a visit to popular book fairs. Visiting popular book events, such as Illinois Library Association, can help your children to get their hands on a new variety of novels. At events like these, new authors display their recent literature work to promote their books since a large number of book lovers and important professionals in publishing industry make it a point to visit. Plan a visit to one of the popular book events along with your children. Your kids will enjoy the chance to choose some of their own favorite volumes.
- Create a reading-friendly environment. Creating a quiet, comfortable place to read is an effective technique to encourage your kids to read. It can be as simple as gifting your child a reading light beside his or her and setting a bedtime which includes half an hour to read before going to bed. If you have additional space in your kids’ room, you can create a special reading nook. Also, you can create a small home library where you store all the new volumes purchased from popular book exhibitions. This will boost the morale of your children to spend more time in the home library daily.
- Use technology. Often, children are more fond of electronic devices than paper books. Gifting your kids an Amazon Kindle or Apple iPad can encourage them to explore the world of ebooks. That way your child can download new reading material at will without having to wait for the next family trip to the book exhibition. Also, at various global book fairs, such as Illinois Library Association 2014, you can find a vast variety of suitable ebooks for your kids. Audio books can be another great solution to encourage a reluctant reader to get excited about reading without any pressure.
With these effective tips you can inspire the budding bookworm in your children to read more and enhance their knowledge, reading abilities, writing skills, and vocabulary as they grow.
As the boom of tablets and Smartphones continues to rise in the market, it’s now simpler to download and read E-books with just a push of button or screen-touch. Even though this quick and easy access to various E-books is commendable, book lovers and many avid readers find stocking up books quite expensive. They are always on look for effective ways to find cost-effective copies of books.
Where can you find discounted or free copies of standard volumes and E-books to pursue your favorite hobby of reading? Here are some options that can help you find discounted and free E-books and standard volumes to read your choice of collection.
- Libraries. Today, lots of public libraries are pursuing the trend of having digital books on their shelves. They offer E-books just like they offer standard physical volumes. In most cases, you need to have a card to access the local library but there are many libraries that allow you to access their E-book collections directly from your desktops or tablets. Various E-books lending libraries allow you to checkout digital volumes on your systems without making a trip to the library.You can download your choice of E-books for a specific span of time and read.
- Author lists. Many book lovers maintain a list of their favorite authors. Today, several popular authors maintain blogs, email lists, Facebook pages, Twitter accounts, and other social network accounts for their loyal fans to keep the readers updated with their latest releases and news. In addition to this, many authors offer exclusive giveaways and discounted rates on their work to their loyal fans. Checking out your favorite authors’ websites and email alerts helps you obtain important updates and newsletters. You can even meet your favorite authors in popular book events, such as Frankfurt International Book Fair in 2014, have their autographs, and discuss with them about your expectations and their upcoming projects.
- Book clubs. Various book clubs maintain collections of good books allowing the members of the club to buy their choice of volumes at discounted rate. Many book clubs even offer guided discussions on the best-selling volumes to avid readers. They even offer bookworms opportunities to get their hands on volumes that are available at lesser prices if they participate in the club.
- Popular book fairs. Various global book fairs, such as Frankfurt Book Fair, offer book lovers opportunities to learn, access, and purchase a variety of books and E-books at discounted rates. Numerous authors throughout the world display their literary work in such international book fairs attracting thousands of readers and fans to attend and get their hands on their favorite collections. Avid readers can have discussions with their favorite authors and learn about digital books and their availability in the market. These international book events even offer splendid opportunities to readers as well as authors to pursue their interest and work in the publishing industry enthusiastically.
If you follow these four tips, it won’t cost you an arm and a leg to have a great collection of reading material. Hurry up! Find more about library offerings, book giveaways, and popular book fairs in 2014 to thrive the book worm in you with quality reading material.
Getting lost in reading a book is the most pleasurable feeling for a book lover to enjoy. Readers read books of hundreds and even thousands of pages, getting engrossed in the plot of the story and role of the characters in it. Reading favorite books for hours is not only fun but also beneficial for the health of the readers. Do you know why?
Here are some surprising and interesting health benefits of reading.
- Reduces stress. Reading good books is a relaxing activity. When you get engrossed in reading a book, all other thoughts vanish from your mind. Your daily tensions and worries disappear. This is not a hypothetical idea but a proven fact. Studies reveal that reading just for six minutes reduces stress by 68% as it slows down your heart rate and minimizes muscle tension. Instead of turning on your television set, read a good book for some time after spending a stressful day at work.
- Improves memory. Just like your body muscles need workout to enhance them, your brain needs the exercise that reading a book can offer. Reading a book for certain time of a day exercises your noggin. All synapses firing when reading improves your memory and keeps you away from ailments related to brain and memory. Studies reveal that people who read regularly are 2.5 times less likely to become a victim of memory disease named Alzheimer .
- Makes your brain younger. Even though no one can stop aging process, reading can slow it down substantially. Various studies and researches reveal that reading can minimize your rate of cognitive decline. Get your hands on good books by visiting popular book events, such as those found at the Beijing International Book Fair, regularly and keep your brain young and energetic.
- Enhances empathy. Reading good, inspirational books makes you more humane. You get emotionally absorbed in the book and enact positively in the real life. Studies reveal that individuals who read fictional stories regularly are more empathetic. Even if the characters are fictional, relating to their roles and circumstances makes us act empathetically in our lives. Visiting global book fairs in 2014 can help you access a vast variety of inspirational and fictional volumes to enhance your empathy this year.
- Increases tolerance. Every of us have to struggle to lead a civilized and peaceful life with stress of not knowing what future has in store for us. To achieve our aims we need to increase our tolerance level. Fortunately, one of the easy ways to cope with day-to-day stress is reading volumes. Studies reveal that reading fictional stories can increase the tolerance for ambiguity. As readers delve deeper into fictional stories and characters, their minds open up and they become prepared to face various challenging situations and uncertainties. A visit to a popular book show, like BIBF 2014, can help you enhance your tolerance effectively and become stronger.
All of the above benefits of reading enhance your health and life and help you lead a more peaceful and happy life. So harbor a good habit of reading regularly by getting your hands on various new volumes that are coming in the market these days.