Being an author, as prestigious as it may sound and appear superficially, can be equally challenging and bewildering to any author consciously. Are you wondering why it is so? Many times it happens that you have chosen a topic but completely lost on how to begin writing describing it. You may have all research materials right in front of you but still you are unable to pen down a single sentence to start writing, or else you have started writing and after sometime you discover that nothing interesting and innovative coming off your pen. You may be proficient in writing skills but face times, where you don’t know how to express, that hamper you writing tasks. This phenomenon is popular in the writing world as writer’s block. Some people even address it as common cold of the writing world. However, you can get rid of it by following some effective tips. Here are some useful techniques, which may help you to get rid of utter despair feeling that you suffer due to writer’s block.
- Relax and set your mind free: If you want to become a proficient writer, you need to set your mind free just like a normal human being. Relax. Do not stress your mind thinking about writer’s block, as it is pointless and hampers your confidence and creative writing skills. Think positive about your writing skills. Once you are relaxed your mind will be clear of inconsequential doubts and confusions. This will make you to start writing afresh with innovative skills. A visit to popular book shows, such as BookExpo America, can help you set your mind free and inspire you to write effectively.
- Avoid self-criticism: One of the worst habits that can make a writer’s mind experience a block is constant self-criticism and self-doubt. Lack of confidence make you critic of your own work and ability. This hampers your writing skills and progress. It even hampers your critical thinking, analytical skills, and creative writing. It prevents you from writing an impressive content and deteriorates your quality of writing. Self-criticism confuses you from proceeding smoothly with your writing tasks and disables you to get the appropriate credit that you deserve. Besides, on completing writing a book, it affects your book publicity adversely as you fail to make promotional effort with an enthusiastic mind.
- Change the topic of your writing: One of the common causes of writer’s block is choosing a topic that you do not find appealing. You may find the topic quite boring and it may prevent you from coming up with impressive ideas to write on it. If you ever face this kind of situation, prefer to change the topic than sticking around that topic unproductively. Choose a topic that may interest you to write on and come up with good points and ideas to elaborate. This will enable you to write and promote your work effectively. If you cannot change the topic then carry out good research on the topic by visiting popular book events, where you may find variety of ideas to write on the chosen topic impressively.
- Start writing with middle chapter: At times, when writing a book, you may find it difficult to begin with the introduction. If you face writer’s block when beginning writing a book and get ideas or points that you can write for the chapters that fall in the mid of the story of the novel then start writing what strikes you. After completing a few chapters that come in the middle of your novel, you may get appealing idea to write the introduction.
- Seek help of your friends and family: Never harbor the misconception that you are only writer facing writer’s block, as many popular, best-selling authors suffer block when writing their works. Asking for help or knowing opinion of your friends and family on the chosen topic can help you come up with good ideas and complete your writing task effectively. So, whenever you fall short of ideas, ask around for opinions, ideas, views, and anything related to the topic as it may help you to get rid of writer’s block and write impressively. This even assists you to have outstanding book promotion.
- Do not panic and entertain yourself: Whenever you face writer’s block, do not panic. Be calm. Entertain yourself by listening to soothing music, watching television, dance on the tune of your favorite music, or by having a brisk walk. This will take your mind off from writing and into your own world that may help you derive enthusiasm to continue writing.
- Rest your mind: Lack of mental and physical rest may hamper your critical thinking ability and disable you to think progressively to write further when writing a book. In such circumstances, it is better to sleep for a while, simply lie down, or meditate for some time in order to relax your mind, body, and soul. You will experience good flow of ideas and enthusiasm after relaxing your mind in one of these ways.
If you follow any of these tips or visit popular book event, like BEA 2014, when you face writer’s block while writing a book, you can overcome it smartly and continue writing in a better way in a short time span.